Acute cell toxicity means adverse effects resulting from interference with structures or processes that are essential for cell survival (e.g. cell membrane integrity, mitochondrial energy metabolism) after a single chemical exposure for 24-48 hours.
- Acute toxicity testing using mouse BALB 3T3 fibroblasts and Neutral Red Uptake Assay in compliance with OECD GD 129.
- Acute toxicity testing using human BJ fibroblasts and Neutral Red Uptake Assay. Using human cells instead of mouse cells gives better prediction of human effects1. The protocol is in line with OECD GD 129 and has been intra-laboratory validated in FICAM.
Performance of BJ NRU cytotoxicity test [YouTube video]
- Testing of the toxicity of indoor air samples to THP-1 monocytes stimulated towards macrophages in co-operation with SEA Oy (www.sisailmatutkimuspalvelut.fi)
- Both GLP and non-GLP testing service available
1Mannerström et al. 2017: Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol, 121 Suppl 3:109-115
- Predicting acute toxicity of chemicals (pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, industrial chemicals, biocides etc.) and their mixtures, and medical device
- Predicting acute oral dose for rodent test