The research group offers research and teaching on paper, paperboard and polymer processing, converting and packaging technology, wood-, fibre- and plastic-based materials and products. R&D is focused on (co)extrusion coating, cast film manufacturing, extrusion lamination, dispersion coating, wet-, melt- and electrospinning and their applications.
The development challenges of today include high-barrier and thin coatings, materials from renewable resources and sustainable packaging materials.
Current/recent R&D projects deal with:
● High-barrier co-extruded coatings and films
● High-barrier paper and paperboard packages
● Biodegradable and bio-based coatings and materials (e.g. polymers)
● Multilayer (barrier) materials and structures
● Wood-based materials (e.g. lignin, nanocellulose and MFC) for various applications
● Surface functionalization of plastic films and fiber-based materials and their coatings
● Thin coatings and surface modification based on different techniques (ALD, Atomic Layer Deposition; LFS, Liquid Flame Spray; Atmospheric Plasma Deposition)
● Active and intelligent packages solutions
● Barrier dispersion coating
● Bio-based intelligent solutions for circular economy
The unique R2R pilot line provides tailored surface treatment and coating possibilities. Well-equipped laboratory has modern analytical methods for characterizing the essential properties of packaging materials.
The group has scientific collaboration with other universities, research institutes as well as paper, paperboard and polymer manufacturers and converters and packaging industry. For the industry, there are several opportunities for cooperation varying from academic theses to contract research (e.g. trials, measurements) and small and large-scale projects.