TaRC’s Master Class “Gender, Media, Leadership: Women in Chinese and Russian Media” is less than a week away, and now the schedule for public events has been announced!
The following events are open to the general public:
Monday, 28 October 2019
15:00–18:00 Keynote session #1 (lecture hall Pinni B1096, address: Kanslerinrinne 1, Tampere)
- Greeting from Tampere University’s Vice President Marja Sutela
- 15:00 Marina Svensson (Professor, Lund University, Sweden): An Overview of Chinese Media: Understanding Traditional and New Media
- 15:45 Galina Miazhevich (Senior Lecturer, Cardiff University, UK): Resistance in Putin’s Russia: Who Is an Activist and What Is Resistance?
- 16:30 Susan Meriläinen (Professor, University of Lapland, Finland): Is More Women Leaders a Solution for Overcoming Sexism?
- 17:15 Bu Wei (Professor, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, Beijing, China): Gender and Communication Activism in China
Tuesday, 29 October 2019
12:00–13:30 Keynote session #2 (lecture hall Pinni B1097, address: Kanslerinrinne 1, Tampere)
- 12:00 Lubov Mulmenko (Director, screenwriter, playwright based in Moscow, Russia): Men and Women in the Russian Cinema of the 2010s
- 12:45 Natalia Bitten (Journalist, gender equality expert based in Moscow, Russia): Female Journalists – Overcoming Sexism in the Media
Wednesday, 30 October 2019
12:00–13:30 Keynote session #3 (lecture hall D11, Main Building, address: Kalevantie 4, Tampere)
- 12:00 Gina Marchetti (Professor, University of Hong Kong): #MeToo Hong Kong and Mainland China
- 12:45 Elina Sinkkonen (Senior Researcher, Finnish Institute of International Affairs): Media, the Female Citizen and Xi’s Increasingly Authoritarian China
Thursday, 31 October 2019
12:00–13:30 Keynote session #4 (lecture hall Pinni B1096, address: Kanslerinrinne 1, Tampere)
- 12:00 Olga Andreevskikh (Researcher, University of Leeds, UK): Anti-harassment Campaigns as Grounds for Media Resistance in Russia
- 12:45 Liudmila Voronova (Senior Lecturer, Södertörn University, Sweden): Gender, Media and Politics in Russia: Studying Intersections
Friday, 1 November 2019
9:00–12:30 Participants’ presentations (lecture hall Pinni B1096, address: Kanslerinrinne 1, Tampere)
- Participants’ presentations based on group work during the Master Class week
13:30–15:00 Closing panel session (lecture hall Pinni B1096, address: Kanslerinrinne 1, Tampere)
- Discussants: Professor Jawida Ahmadi (Kabul University, Afganistan), Journalist Matti Mörttinen (freelancer, formerly of Aamulehti), Researcher Svetlana Pasti (Tampere University), Researcher Inna Perheentupa (University of Turku), Post-doctoral Research Fellow Anna Shpakovskaya (University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany), Editor-in-Chief Anu Ubaud (Helsingin Sanomat)
- Moderator: Researcher Saara Ratilainen (University of Helsinki)
Apart from Ms Sinkkonen, the other keynote speakers are also teaching the work groups. You can read more about them here.
More information is available from TaRC coordinator Jari Väliverronen (firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +358 40 769 5558).