Supervising BSc theses.
Supervising MSc theses.
Course Software Design (COMP.SE.110)
Project INTEMO (Intelligent Methods for Motivated Software Development)
Project VISDOM activities.
Studying social interactions in GSD.
My research interests fall generally under using intelligent methods for
software engineering problems, and include topics such as:
Data-driven software development
Artificial intelligence and its applications in the context of software engineering
Human factors and the social aspects of software development
Data analysis techniques to support software engineering tasks
Global software development (GSD)
Software architecture design
Software project management
Meta-heuristics (genetic algorithms, swarm intelligence, etc.)
Computing Sciences, Software Process team
Software development, software engineering, computer science
Assistant professor, 2014-
- Since 10/2014 I've held the position of Assistant professor (tenure track). I've done research in the contex of project GloFuMe, and since 2019 in the ITEA3/Business Finland funded project VISDOM (lead by prof. Systä), researching visualizations in software process improvement. In spring 2021 I will start project INTEMO (Intelligent Methods for Motivated Software Development), funded by the Ulla Tuominen foundation.
Post-doctoral researcher (Academy of Finland), 2014- 2018.
- Starting 09/2014 until 09/2018 I worked as a post-doctoral researcher with personal project funding from the Academy of Finland for project GloFuMe. In this project I researched software architectures in the context of global software developmen. My goal was to find methods to co-optimize the software architecture and project management via architecture based task allocation. This project included close collaboration with Lero - The Irish Software Research Centre (Limerick, Ireland).
Teaching associate, 2011-2014.
- After a few years concentrating mainly on teaching, from the beginning year 2014 I worked in the Need4Speed project, where I was involved in studying software process data mining, modeling, analysis and visualizations. Within this project I also investigated software architecture refactoring and evaluation. The project was funded by DIMECC and lead by profs Tommi Mikkonen and Kari Systä.
Researcher, project Darwin 2009-2011.
- Project Darwin investigated using meta-heuristics to automatically design and optimize software architectures. Within this project I completed my PhD thesis "Genetic Algorithms in Software Architecture Synthesis" approved with distinction (Nov. 2011). The project was funded by Academy of Finland and lead by prof. Kai Koskimies.
I strive to create methods and tools for intelligent data-driven software engineering. This entails combining data and views from different stakeholders for more comprehensive, automated, optimized software engineering. Further, I seek synergies between software engineering and other disciplines to improve sw engineering and to create new innovations.
The Finnish Society for Computer Science, member of board 1.1.2018 onwards, chairman of board 1.1.2021 onwards.
Vice member of the faculty council for Faculty of Computing and Electrical Engineering (at TUT), 2014-2015 and 2017-2018.
O. Sievi-Korte, F. Fagerholm, K. Systä, and T. Mikkonen, Dimensions of Consistency in GSD: Social Factors, Structures and Interactions, In: Morisio M., Torchiano M., Jedlitschka A. (eds) Product-Focused Software Process Improvement. PROFES 2020. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 12562. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-64148-1_10.
T. Aho, O. Sievi-Korte, T. Kilamo, S. Yaman, and T. Mikkonen, Demystifying Data Science Projects: a Look on the People and Process of Data Science Today, In: Morisio M., Torchiano M., Jedlitschka A. (eds) Product-Focused Software Process Improvement. PROFES 2020. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 12562. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-64148-1_20
O. Sievi-Korte, I. Richardson, and S. Beecham, Software Architecture Design in Global Software Development: An Empirical Study, The Journal of Systems and Software 158, December 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2019.110400.
O. Sievi-Korte, S. Beecham, and I. Richardson, Challenges and Recommended Practices for Software Architecting in Global Software Development, Information and Software Technology 106, February 2019, 234-253. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.infsof.2018.10.008
S. Suonsyrjä, O. Sievi-Korte, K. Systä, T. Kilamo, T. Mikkonen, Objectives and Challenges of the Utilization of User-Interaction Data in Software Development, In: Proceedings of the Euromicro Conference on Software Engineering and Advanced Applications (SEAA) 2018, IEEE, 357-361.
A.-L. Mattila, K. Systä, O. Sievi-Korte, M. Leppänen and T. Mikkonen, Discovering Software Process Deviations Using Visualizations, In: Proceedings of XP'17, 2017, Springer LNBIP 283, pp. 259-266.
M. Leppänen, S. Mäkinen, S. Lahtinen, O. Sievi-Korte, A-P. Tuovinen, and T. Männistö, Refactoring - a Shot in the Dark?, IEEE Software 32 (6), November/December 2015, 62-70.
O. Räihä, A Survey on Search-Based Software Design, Computer Science Review 4 (4), 2010, 203-249.
O. Räihä, K. Koskimies and E. Mäkinen, Genetic Synthesis of Software Architecture, In: Proc. of the 7th International Conference on Simulated Evolution and Learning (SEAL'08), Melbourne, Australia. December 2008, Springer LNCS 5361, 565-574.
Co-PIs & emerging PIs
- Software Engineering
- Faculty of Information Technology and Communication Sciences
- Tampere University
Based on agreement - or when the door of my office (TF114) is open. I have returned to campus.
Primary way of contacting: email.
Software, software engineeting and computer science enthusiastic since 1980. Interests both in research and practise.
My own teaching for 2022-2024 includes
- Course COMP.SE.140 Continuous Development and Deployment - DevOps
- Several Master Theses
A also look after
- The study modules of Software Engineering and Web&Cloud
- Software Engineering
Field of expertise
My main expertise areas are
- Theory and practice of software engineering.
- Web, edge and cloud software.
Phases of my career
- 1980-1985: Master studies and part-time teaching in Tampere University of technology
- 1985-1995: Various research projects, teaching tasks and PhD studies in Tampere University of technology
- 1995-2011: Several research and management roles in Nokia corporation
- 2012- : Professor of software engineering in Tampere University
My current research topics & interests are
- Data driven software engineering: how the data collected from software and its decision process can be used for more efficient development and better decision making.
- Web as an application platform.
- Software architectures for open IoT systems.
- Advanced software solutions for modern energy systems.
- Programmable world and edge computing.
- A BF funded project to develop Liquid Software for highly connected IoT-Edge-Cloud continuum. Compared to past efforts on Liquid Software, we in LiquidAI we consider Machine Learning components, too. This is a collaborative effort with University of Jyväskylä.
A BF-funded project to address the following challenges: "Developing and managing 5G and especially 6G software will demand totally new software development methods, tools, processes, and architectures. We need novel industry-scale software engineering to support the integrated development of heterogeneous systems that include software platforms, cloud, big data, AI, edge, IoT, and quantum computing. The number of connected devices will explode, and they all have software. They range from micro-level devices with very limited processing capability to larger connected devices with strong processing power and large applications in the cloud. Different parts of the distributed systems are owned and managed by various stakeholders. Current architectures, orchestration, and scalability methods and tools are not capable of supporting such complex, heterogeneous, and highly distributed 6G software systems. In addition, the application of current technologies will create a very high energy overhead, due to the lack of optimization for such a large number of connected devices."
This is a collaboration project with University of Oulu, LUT University and University of Jyväskylä.
- An EU-funded multi-disciplinary project to investigate use blockchain-based micro-credentials for study credits. For further informations see: https://www.tuni.fi/en/research/microblock-advancing-exchange-micro-credentials-ebsi-0
- A cross-disciplinary infrastructure (FIRI - Academy of Finland) project to build platforms and tools for energy researchj.
Recently ended projects
- VISDOM is an international Eureka/ITEA3 project that develops new types of visualisations for software development. We concentrate visualisations that are based on data from several tools and our special focus is in DevOps-type projects. For further information, see the project-wide web-page: iteavisdom.org .
- CityIoT vendor independent IoT platform for smart cities: For more information see https://pervasive.cs.tut.fi/?p=2820 and https://www.cityiot.fi/english/
- ProcemPlus whose main objective of ProCemPlus project is to study the formation of individual energy communities into broader business-oriented energy ecosystems through several research themes and concrete pilot-cases related to the development of energy communities, and to analyze the role of microgrids and energy communities in the future energy ecosystem. The role of our team is related to design of the required information system and related software/platform economy. For more information see information about the earlier Procem-project and web-page of this new ProcemPlus project .
See, google scholar and similar places for the academic publications.
Together with my colleagues from the other universities in Finland we wrote a report (with recommendations) about software in Finland. See: https://www.alliedict.fi/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/AIF-2023_Ohjelmistot-Suomessa-korkeakoulukorjaus-1.pdf (in Finnish)
- Associate Professor (tenure track)
- Faculty of Information Technology and Communication Sciences
- Tampere University
Leading a research group in the field of software engineering and informatics applied to industrial automation, production and energy systems. Research focus on system architecture, information system composition and integration platforms, and semantics for networked systems and services. Teaching and supervision related to Web and Cloud architectures and dependable IoT systems.
- GenerIoT (ITEA4/Business Finland, 2023-2025)
- Industry X (Business Finland, 2022-2025)
- TRINEFLEX (Horizon Europe, 2022-2026)
- INGA (Integrated automation for distribution grid and DERs, Business Finland, 2022-2024)
- AeroPolis (Academy of Finland, 2022-2024)
- FEMMa (Future Electrified Mobile Machines, Business Finland, 2021-2024)
- DisMa (Distributed Management of Electricity System, Academy of Finland, 2019-2023)
- NIC (Nordic Interoperability Collaboration, Business Finland, 2021)
- Productive4.0 (EC ECSEL/Business Finland, 2017-2020)
- AIDOMUS (Research to business, Business Finland, 2019-2020)
- SEMIS (Semantic Interoperability of Industrial Systems, Academy of Finland Postdoctoral Researcher, 2017-2020)
- COCOP (Coordinating Optimisation of Complex Industrial Processes, EU H2020, 2016-2020)
- USE (Urban Smart Energy, Business Finland, 2017-2019)
- S-Step (Business Finland, 2016-2017)
- Arrowhead (EC ECSEL, 2013-2017)