The current focus areas of the TerraRoad research group are:
- Materials for road, street and railway structures and their properties, covering both traditional and recycled material options
- Monitoring and modelling the performance of traffic-loaded road and street structures
- Behaviour of landfills liners and other geoenvironmental structures
- Structures of recreation areas and sports facilities
- Materials related to nuclear waste disposal solutions
The TerraRoad group’s research area covers a wide range of infrastructures and the properties of the materials used in them, from aggregate mineralogy and the analysis of fines fractions to full-scale structural monitoring. Our special strengths also include the ability to rely on our research laboratory GEOLA’s comprehensive range of research equipment and our solid experience in monitoring the condition and performance of real-scale infrastructures. A recent example of our development work that innovatively combines modern monitoring technologies and data processing methods is an automatic classifier for the recognition of studded tires. In the field of material technology, we are currently investing heavily in our capabilities to study the properties of asphalt mixes.