TAUCHI carries out multidisciplinary research in human–technology interaction. We try to harmonize the potential of technology with human abilities, needs, and limitations.
Latest Projects (under construction)
- 2018-2022 Augmented Eating Experiences (MMIG group)
- 2018-2019 RemoteFeel (PIRG & MMIG groups)
- 2016 – 2018 Buddy and the Smiths 2.0 (ESC group)
The project aims to study and develop technology and services that enhances the social and emotional bond between dogs and human, improves the monitoring of dog well-being and makes the everyday lives of dog owners easier. In addition, it aims to promote the Finnish business ecosystem for dog technology and smart data services.
- 2016 – 2017 Digital Scents (see projects by ESC Group)
The Digital Scents (DIGITS) research project develops a system prototype which measures scents by an electric nose (eNose) and transforms them into digits. The scents can then be reproduced by using a carefully controlled self-learning scent synthesiser. In the future, synthesised scents can be perceived by people and even other machines around the world with the help of a digital communications network. The research lays the ground for developing systems that are able to transmit olfactory perceptions and experiences in real time everywhere in the world.
- 2014 – 2018 Mimetic Interfaces (ESC group)
Mimetic interfaces refer to a new type of user interface technology in which computing and technical solutions are built to measure and imitate (mime) human behavioural functions so that lost functions can be restored digitally. The specific aim of the current project is to study and develop user interface technology especially targeted at improving and rehabilitation of face functionality (i.e. facial mimics) after unilateral facial paresis.
- 2015 – 2018 Private and Shared Gaze: Enablers, Applications, Experiences (VIRG)
This project will develop and study demonstrators that are made possible by the rapid spreading of eye tracking devices. The applications span from personal information management and web browsing aids to educational applications that make use of gaze-contingent digital lecture material.
- 2013 – 2016 Mind Picture Image (VIRG)
The main objective of the Mind, Image, Picture project is to answer the question “How do we look at pictures and what is their role in the constitution of the human mind.” In short, we ask: how do pictures become meaningful for the observer?
- 2012 – 2015 DIGILE Digital Services (MMIG, SPI)
DIGILE Digital Services program is a huge investment in the future of digital services business in Finland. The academic coordination of the research program is at the University of Tampere. TAUCHI’s main research topics in this program are connected to different kind of education services.
- 2012 – 2016 Haptic Gaze Interaction (MMIG, VIRG)
The main objective of the HAGI project is to investigate how to use haptics and gaze and combined modalities in mobile interaction. The research addresses new forms of mobile devices, such as glasses, watchers and other wearable devices. The project is carrying out basic research and applying the results in practice.
- 2012 – 2014 AVO2 (MMIG)
The project developed advanced methods for teaching and it employs augmented reality technologies.
- 2010 – 2015 FIMECC UXUS (SPI, MMIG)
In UXUS project, we develop advanced user interfaces for machinery industry and study the resulting new user experience in this context.
- 2011 – 2015 RYM Indoor Environment (MMIG, SPI)
The Tekes-funded project develops innovative learning environments.
- 2012 – 2014 EIT ICT Labs projects (SPI, MMIG)
- 2004 – 2009 (EU-funded) – current (association) COGAIN (VIRG)
- RuralVoice (SPI)
- 2011 – 2013 Haptic Auto (MMIG, ESC)
- 2009 – 2012 DIYSE (MMIG, SPI)
- 2008 – 2012 DIEM (MMIG, SPI)
- 2011 – 2013 EnergyLand (MMIG, SPI)
- 2011 – 2012 MOBSTER (MMIG, SPI)
- 2011 – 2013 Native gaze-contingent interfaces (VIRG)
- 2012 – 2013 Active Learning Spaces (Aktiiviset oppimistilat) (MMIG, SPI)
- Companions 2006 – 2010 (SPI)
- COST278 and MUMIN (SPI)
- DAMMOC 2009-2011 (VIRG)
- 2009 – 2012 Drex (MMIG, SPI)
- Dumas (SPI)
- Ecological Approach to Smart Environments (EASE/ÄES) (SPI)
- Face Interface 2007-2010 (ESC)
- Global Face Analysis in Social-Emotional Human-Technology Interaction (GoFASE) 2009 – 2012 (MMIG, ESC)
- HAPIMM 2009 – 2011 (MMIG)
- Haptic Depth 2009-2012 (MMIG)
- Haptic Teaching 2.0 2008 (MMIG)
- 2010-2012 Human-Technology Interaction (MMIG, SPI)
- MOKOMO 2009-2010 (SPI)
- Multimodal Gaming for Promoting Health 2008 – 2009 (MMIG)
- Multimodal Interfaces for Transfer of Skills 2006 – 2011 (MMIG)
- Mobile haptics 2006 – 2009 (MMIG, ESC)
- New Methods and Applications of Speech Technology (PUMS) (SPI)
- New User Interfaces Based on EMFi-technology (SPI)
- 2009 – 2012 Print Interpreting: Process, Comprehension, and Technology (VIRG)
- Prima 2006 – 2010 (SPI, VIRG)Mobile User Interfaces (SPI)
- Speech User Interfaces (SPI)
- Täplä 2007 – 2009 (MMIG, SPI)
- User Interfaces for Ubiquitous Computing (SPI)
- Usix-Interact (SPI)
- VISCOLE – Multimodal Interaction for Visually Impaired School Children 2007 – 2010 (MMIG)