Chairman: Professor Thomas Bednar, Vienna University of Technology, Austria
The commission’s objectives are:
- To explore the phenomena of heat, moisture, air and salts transfer in buildings, components and materials and to formulate laws governing the physics involved.
- To define, measure and discuss the hygrothermal properties of materials and building components.
- To discuss the ventilation and hygrothermal behaviour of buildings.
- To apply the acquired knowledge to the design, execution and maintenance of buildings.
- To transfer research information to knowledge of heat, moisture, air and salts.
The commission W040 has around 60 members from Austria, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, India, Iran, Israel, Italy, Lithuania, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, United Arab Emirates, and UK.
The CIB commission is currently carrying out a research roadmap project, which aims to prevent moisture damage in buildings. Our research group is involved in this project, the website can be found through the following link:
The commission has published material: Heat, air and moisture transfer terminology – Parameters and concepts, for more information see Publications
See also the homepage.